1. Find the diamond engagement ring designer or jeweler that speaks to your style.
When you are creating a custom ring, you need to work with a designer or jeweler whose style and quality you admire. “You might pick the best diamond, but if it’s in a poor-quality setting then you won’t be happy,” says Manny Soin – c0-owner of Middleton Jewelers.
3. Bigger is (generally) better.
“The size of the diamond is the most important factor in designing a ring,” says Manny Soin. “The average consumer won’t notice tiny inclusions or a hint of warmth, but they will notice the size of the stone from near and far.”
For that reason, Manny steers his clients away from VVS stones if they are on a limited budget saying: “I don’t believe in paying for something you can’t see. I am also not afraid of a little warmth in a stone. I don’t prescribe to the thought that only the whitest of diamonds are beautiful.”
On the other hand, Middleton Jewelers does have an incredible selection of VS quality natural and lab-created stones that can deliver an extra “pop” we coupled with a colorless factor as well. Middleton Jewelers has everything you need in every range of the highest quality products.
4. Research ring styles and stick with what you love.
“Before you sit down with a designer, spend time researching for inspiration and trying on different rings to discover the styles you love, what you don’t like and what looks good on you,” advises Steph R – in-house custom cad design specialist at Middleton Jewelers. Just continue to remind yourself not to be swayed by trends; celebrity engagement rings get a lot of attention, but that doesn’t mean they are right for you.
“Stick to your gut when selecting the ring,” says Steph R. “If you have always loved round diamonds, and then Hailey Bieber gets engaged with an oval and suddenly you like an oval, is it because you actually like that stone shape or are you being influenced by the trend?”
5. Choose a diamond engagement ring for your style—and lifestyle.
Once you have chosen the diamond, the right designer or jeweler will work with you to create a diamond engagement ring that suits your lifestyle. “Simple designs are the most popular right now,” says Josh Gamer, whose bestselling ring is a solitaire on his Whisper Thin band. “Simple styles,” he explains, “ensure that the focus stays on the diamond.”
Also, women today want more durable ring styles that they can wear from the office to the gym. (As such, Manny notes that micro pave settings are losing popularity.)
Your ring should also match your individual style, be it modern or vintage. “At the very least make sure you are buying a diamond shape you will love forever,” says Manny. “It’s pretty inexpensive to change a diamond setting after a few years, but it’s expensive to change the stone.”
Additionally, it’s important to consider your wedding band when selecting your ring style. Perhaps you’re envisioning an engagement ring that pairs with stackable wedding bands? More and more women are going in this direction because different stackable bands easily allow for the changing-up of a look based on time of day, attire, or mood. Middleton Jewelers is known to create custom wedding bands that can integrate with engagement rings.
6. Get creative: it’s all in the details
Different metal finishes, detailing, unique side stones, and the personalization of a ring with engravings and other hidden elements are what really allow for a ring to stand apart. “I have the most fun when clients tell me stories about things that are significant to them and their relationship, and I am able to figure out how to incorporate them into the ring,” says Steph R, who integrates symbols and characters, such as flowers, birthstones, and spiritual motifs, on the insides of the rings she designs.
Steph R. always provides clients with sketches of their diamond engagement rings for approval, and then 3-D renderings are made before wax molds are carved for each design. Make sure you approve your ring every step of the way to ensure you are getting everything you want. And don’t be afraid to make modifications along the way (just make sure to do so before the wax mold is made).
7. Buy a diamond engagement ring without leaving home
Technology has made it much easier to create custom-made rings by presenting diamonds, settings, and styles in images and videos when you can’t meet directly with a jeweler, but nothing replaces the feeling of trying on a ring in person.
Once a client places an order, the GIA-certified diamond ring is made in Middleton WI, and delivered within two to three weeks. With a little research and planning, you easily design the custom diamond ring of your dreams—the ring that tells your unique story.
The 9 Engagement Ring Trends You Need to Know for 2021
By now we’re all very aware that nothing, not even a global pandemic, can stop love. And it certainly hasn’t put a stop to engagement season! The latest engagement ring trends are still on display, and designers, and couples, are getting more creative than ever when it comes to ring shopping.
“I believe the moment calls for spectacular and precious things,” says designer Anna Sheffield. “Wedding ceremonies may change or be on hold for now, but the desire to celebrate love and union is going strong.”
So what does the latest crop of rings have to offer? We’re diving deep into the top engagement ring trends for 2021. Whether you already have the ring of your dreams picked out (dropping hints counts), or you and your partner are just starting to talk about what that bling might look like—you’ll want to be armed with all the latest engagement ring trends before you safely visit your favorite jeweler, or virtually discuss the ideal ring with a designer.
Wedding ceremonies may change or be on hold for now, but the desire to celebrate love and union is going strong.
We rounded up some of our favorite jewelry designers to talk all things engagement rings—from the latest trends, to how the pandemic has changed the way couples are shopping for rings. Here, the engagement ring trends you need to know for 2021.
Unique Rings With Personal Details
In a year full of such uncertainty, couples are taking control of what few details they can as it relates to marriage—and one of those is focusing on personal touches when it comes to engagement rings. “A huge difference we’ve seen is that clients have much more time and space to explore what they want, so they are coming to us with much more personal, thoughtful, and insightful directions and ideas,” Azlee’s CEO and designer, Baylee Zwart, says.
“Right now I am seeing a huge surge in clients wanting alternative engagement rings, mainly in the form of a unique cut or an unusual custom-designed setting,” jewelry Angie Marei tells us.
People are continually searching for ways to do things differently. We’ve seen all the rings flashed on every social media channel.
Tacori’s COO and Design Director Nadine Tacorian agrees and says that customers are eager to celebrate love by making the ring their own. “Rings with secret details—hidden messages of love only you and your partner know about,” Tacorian adds.
“People are continually searching for ways to do things differently. We’ve seen all the rings flashed on every social media channel. People are looking to add another layer to the traditional wedding band, putting some extra love and meaning behind it,” says Madeline Fraser, founder, and CEO of Gemist.
Band Style Rings
Given the ever-changing landscape of weddings, jewelry designers are seeing clients turning to band-style engagement rings for a two-in-one situation. “I am seeing an increase in brides that are opting for band-style engagement rings in lieu of a single stone engagement ring,” says Grace Lee. Lee counts her Marquise and Pear diamond band and 5mm crown Bezel eternity band as the most popular.
KatKim designer Katherine Kim is also seeing this trend on the rise “Since a lot of weddings are being postponed we have been seeing a rise in rings that can serve as both an engagement ring and wedding band from our Crescendo Flare Collection,” Kim says.
“Traditionally in many European countries they do not give engagement rings but rather wedding bands/eternity bands as engagement/wedding bands rings,” says designer Emily Rudman, founder of Emilie Heathe. She adds that the current crop of pandemic safety measures have helped keep this trend going. “It’s also easier to clean/sanitize and can endure the constant washing and hand sanitizing we are doing these days.”
Classic Styles With a Modern Twist
The nature of virtual ring shopping has given rise to a return to classic styles for engagement rings. “Because less clients are coming in person to our showroom to try on different settings, more and more are playing it safe with classic styles, like a solitaire or 3-stone ring,” says Nicole Wegman founder of Ring Concierge.
Stylist Micaela Erlanger, whose Forevermark X Micaela Erlanger collection is an office favorite, is also seeing classics making a comeback. “Going into the new year we are seeing couples gravitate towards classic cuts like round, oval, and cushion set in delicate platinum settings that really allow the diamond to pop,” Erlanger shares.
Famed-jewelry (and the absolute best Instagram to follow for ring inspo) Stephanie Gottlieb agrees. “Overall I think our brides are embracing “fashion-forward” bridal designs with traditional elements (which is really my MO when it comes to Bridal jewelry; classic with a modern twist),” Gottlieb says.
Anna Sheffield is also seeing this timeless trend making an impact for 2021. “I think there is something to be said for really timeless rings, and choosing a super special stone,” says Sheffield.
“A more traditional ring with a pretty silhouette and exquisite detail speak to today’s bride and this trend will continue into 2021,” Cathy Waterman tells us. We definitely agree there’s something to sticking to a tried-and-true style in the midst of dealing with the unexpected.
Heirloom-Inspired Old European Cuts
It’s no surprise that engagement ring shoppers are considering family traditions and legacy as they search for the right sparkler and opting for rings that feel like an heirloom. In a year where families were largely kept apart, longing for loved ones is making couples nostalgic and they’re thinking about future generations as they begin their own families. “Engagement ring trends we anticipate in 2021 are heirloom inspired designs – connecting modern love stories to vintage details, creating new family traditions and legacies,” Tacorian adds.
The responsibility and the symbolic value carried by an engagement ring might be heavier than ever.
Olivia Landau, founder, and CEO of The Clear Cut, agrees that the trend has longevity. “Old European cuts are one of my favorites because their unique faceting pattern makes them one of a kind and timeless!”
“A lot of weddings are becoming smaller or being postponed due to the pandemic so, in a sense, the responsibility and the symbolic value carried by an engagement ring might be heavier than ever,” says designer Moritz Glik.
Virtual Shopping Makes Things Easier, and Faster
We’re living in a virtual world and that applies to more than just Zoom meetings. Jewelry designers got creative this year, taking a business that relies on literally getting your hands all over something, and making it virtual. The results opened up a whole new way of shopping and a whole new clientele for many designers. “We are finding that couples are acting more spontaneously and wishing to expedite the proposal and engagement process. With so much uncertainty, it’s nice to take control and keep the process simple,” Ashley Zhang says.
“Since the pandemic and other events in 2020, I feel consumers, in general, are encouraging purchases from smaller independent business’ where they can get to know the designer behind a brand,” says Marei whose business has seen an increase in online inquiries and sales over the last year.
Thanks to her large social footprint, Gottlieb was prepared for the switch. “Our bridal business has been virtual for quite some time, since our audience is coming to us from Instagram, and includes shoppers from all over the country, and the world. So luckily we were prepared for this “remote” shopping experience. For us, videos have been the most helpful element to provide our clients a full visual of their purchasing options.”
SAFE HOLIDAY SHOPPING DURING COVID IS THE PRIORITY
This holiday season is one like we have never seen before considering the new sanitation guidelines and protocols that have come from the 2020 covid19 pandemic, but have no fear- Middleton Jewelers is here to provide the safest holiday shopping experience during covid.
We are offering an all-new online shopping experience with FREE SHIPPING on all items as well as curbside pickup and HOME PICKUP as well. Simply call our store and ask for Joey to set up which service is best for you – all at NO ADDITIONAL COST! Now better than ever is the time to create custom jewelry from the comfort of your home with our new CUSTOM DESIGN TOOL.
We also have a great selection of one of a kind diamond and gold rings, diamond pendants, diamond bracelets, gold gemstone jewelry, and wedding/engagement rings as well. Shop Middleton Jewelers’ online private collection for safe holiday shopping during covid times in the Madison Wisconsin area. Happy holidays and have a safe and sanitary jewelry shopping during covid!
Middleton Jewelers Team
40th Anniversary Sale!
Middleton Jewelers are giving away a free ps5 or a free 55″ smart tv to EVERYONE who spends $5k or more – or choose to get 40% off everything in the jewelry shop! This is our way of saying “Thank You!” for letting us provide you with 4o years of top notch customer service.
COUPON CODE “40YEARS” at checkout to SAVE BIG! Either way we are giving BIG discounts to YOU and providing HUGE SAVINGS with this HUGE SALE!
Middleton Jewelers is Middleton Wisconsin’s premier source for diamond engagement rings, diamond wedding rings, gold wedding bands, diamond necklaces, diamond jewelry, gold jewelry, and wedding bands in WI. Middleton Jewelers wholesale diamonds are guaranteed the lowest price for affordable quality diamonds.
Middleton Jewelers has the best diamonds, lowest gold prices, and best customer service of all jewelry stores in the Madison area.
Shop Our Private Collection!
- $ 1,656.00This is an amazing handmade diamond 3-stone engagement ring. This 0.5 carat diamond ring is wholesale priced diamond wedding ring heaven! This wedding ring is the perfect size for the spouse and is not flashy. The ring comes in 14k white gold weighing 2.6 grams with o.45 total carats of diamonds in a classic and[.....]
- $ 996.00This MJ signature piece will definitely add some flare to your jewelry collection. The dangle earring set is in sterling silver with Australian opals. These opals are very special because they have fiery red flakes among the strong blue flakes, making the stones more valuable. The dimensions of the opals are approximately 12x5mm. The earring[.....]
- $ 1,088.00This MJ signature piece is simplistic and very trendy with the emerald cut of the gemstone. The 14K yellow gold pendant is an emerald-cut tanzanite that is prong-set with a bail. The 14K yellow gold cable chain is 18″ in length. The dimensions of the tanzanite are approximately 6x4mm. ($1,088)
- $ 1,216.00This MJ signature piece is versatile and a perfect piece for summer with its peachy and rosy tones. The 14K rose gold solitaire pendant includes a round, prong-set morganite with a bail. The 14K rose gold chain is an 18in wheat chain. The dimensions of the morganite are approximately 8x8mm. ($1,216)
- $ 672.00This dainty MJ signature piece has a traditional look to it with a modern twist. The 10K white gold ring has some filigree detailing on the two football-shaped ovals containing small diamonds that accent the diamond center stone. The center stone is a round brilliant diamond with a filigree halo and a second thin halo[.....]
- $ 4,999.00This MJ signature piece stands out with its dazzling diamond band and center stone. The 14K white gold ring has a diamond-encrusted, three-way split shank, with the middle band being the thickest. The top and bottom bands curve around and accentuate the cushion-cut tanzanite center stone. The tanzanite is a royal blueish-purple. The dimensions of[.....]
- $ 962.00This MJ signature piece is modern and funky. The 14K white gold ring has three, bar-set, round brilliant diamonds on each side of the oval-cut, tanzanite center stone. The tanzanite is a light, purplish-blue color. Each diamond is set higher than the last, creating a stair effect. The dimensions of the tanzanite are approximately 6x4mm.[.....]
- $ 3,072.00This MJ signature piece truly sparkles with its curved diamond band and tanzanite center stone. The ring is 14K white gold and has a curvy, diamond, pinched, open band. The round tanzanite is prong-set between the front opening of the band. The tanzanite is a deep bluish-purple color. The dimensions of the tanzanite are approximately[.....]
- $ 1,088.00This MJ signature estate piece is modern and innovative. The 14K white gold, solitaire ring has a curved shank that creates the effect that one side is higher than the other. The higher side of the shank has three flush-set, round brilliant diamonds. The center stone is a trillion-cut tanzanite that is a v-prong set.[.....]
- $ 4,480.00This MJ signature piece has a sizeable center stone enveloped in a flower-like halo of diamonds. The ring is 14K rose gold with a thick shank that includes diamonds as it splits towards the front. The center stone is a cushion-cut morganite that has a halo of diamonds about it, slightly resembling flower petals. The[.....]
- $ 1,344.00This MJ signature piece is elegant with color and texture. The 10K rose gold ring has a rope-style, split shank, and an oval-cut morganite with a halo of diamonds. The morganite is a light peach, rose color. The dimensions of the morganite are approximately 7x5mm. The round brilliant diamonds weigh 0.10ctw. ($1,344)
- $ 4,096.00The rose gold in this MJ signature piece brings out the pink undertones of the morganite center stone. This 14K rose gold ring has a diamond shank that splits apart to flow into the diamond, double-halo around the oval-cut morganite. The morganite is a light peach color. The dimensions of the morganite are approximately 8x6mm.[.....]
- $ 873.00The peachy tones to this MJ signature piece are perfection. The 10K, solitaire, rose gold ring has a trillion cut, peachy-pink morganite center stone with a diamond halo. The halo consists of round brilliant diamonds. The dimensions of the morganite are approximately 6x6mm. The diamonds weigh 0.05ctw. ($873)
- $ 7,040.00This MJ signature piece is dazzling and complex with its designed shank. The 14K white gold ring has a diamond, filigree designed shank with an oval-cut blue topaz center stone. The shank is thick with three layers, the top and bottom being diamonds, and the middle layer has some negative space with a diamond, filigree[.....]
- $ 2,302.00This MJ signature is captivating with its unique shank and center stone. The 14K white gold ring has a solid thick band with a thin, rounded band over-crossing it to create this funky shank. The shank also includes various small, round brilliant diamonds. The center stone is a color-change spinel, that at first glance, may[.....]
- $ 3,290.00This MJ signature piece is extremely intricate and one of a kind. The ring is 14K white gold with two, princess-cut, channel-set sapphires on each side of the round aquamarine center stone. Both sapphires are bordered with filigree and the aquamarine is enveloped in a filigree design. The diameter of the aquamarine is approximately 6mm[.....]
- $ 2,880.00This MJ signature piece is “modern meets traditional”. The 14K white gold ring has a wide diamond shank, a stunning diamond halo, and features an emerald-cut Swiss blue topaz. The halo encompassing the topaz is squared off to imitate the emerald cut. The dimensions of the Swiss blue topaz are approximately 6x4mm. The round brilliant[.....]
- $ 1,344.00The halo of diamonds in this MJ signature piece emphasizes the icy blue color of the aquamarine. The shank of the 10K white gold ring has a negative space in a heart-like shape that connects to the diamond halo. The diamond halo has small, extended half-circles on each side. The center stone is an oval-cut[.....]
- $ 1,523.00This MJ signature piece is special for its difference in texture and color. The 10K white gold ring has a split, roped shank and a diamond halo around an oval-cut, checkerboard, created alexandrite. From the front, the alexandrite appears to be a deep purplish-blue color, however, the color will change depending on the angle at[.....]
- $ 1,090.00This antique-styled MJ signature piece is truly exceptional for the color-change effect in the gemstone. The 10K rose gold ring has some filigree all along the shank as well as round brilliant diamonds, with some negative space between the diamond row and filigree. The ring’s center stone is a cushion-cut, created alexandrite with a halo[.....]
- $ 1,354.00This MJ signature piece is truly sensational with its icy-blue gemstone and design. The 10K white gold ring includes a pear-shaped aquamarine center stone encompassed with a halo of diamonds. The diamond shank stops right before the halo as it flares out into a butterfly wing effect. The dimensions of the aquamarine are 8x6mm. The[.....]
- $ 3,380.00With a fancy facet cut and pear gemstone, this MJ signature piece will astonish you. This 18K white gold ring has a checkerboard, pear-cut, amethyst center stone enveloped in a diamond halo. The diamond-encrusted shank flows right into the halo with half a circle on each side. The dimensions of the amethyst are approximately 10x7mm.[.....]
- $ 2,688.00This MJ signature piece is extravagant and dazzling. The 14K white gold ring has an oval-cut, checkerboard garnet center stone with a double halo of round brilliant diamonds. The negative space between the top and bottom of each halo gives an elongating effect to the ring. The dimensions of the garnet are 11x9mm. The diamonds[.....]
- $ 2,042.00This three-stone MJ signature ring is not like the most. The 14K white gold three-stone, gemstone ring includes rhodolite garnets and diamonds. The center stone is cabochon-cut and has more of a pinkish-red color, contrary to the two faceted rhodolite garnet side stones that are a purplish-red. The diameter of the center stone is approximately[.....]
- $ 3,187.00This MJ signature piece is inimitable from its band to the center stone setting, to the cut of the gemstone. The 14K white gold ring has a thick shank containing three rows of round brilliant diamonds. The center stone is a ravishing, oval-cut, rhodolite garnet. The dimensions of the garnet are 11x9mm and the weight[.....]
- $ 6,900.00This exquisite MJ signature gemstone piece has a unique look with its striking blue, oval-cut paraiba tourmaline. The 14K white gold ring has a blue, oval-cut paraiba tourmaline center stone, complemented with a diamond-encrusted shank. The dimensions of the tourmaline are approximately 5.5×4.5mm. The round brilliant diamonds weigh 0.31ctw. The ring is priced at $6,900.
- $ 2,755.00This MJ signature piece is intricate and modern. The ring is 14K white gold with a round, checkerboard cut amethyst center stone and diamond, twisty shank. The amethyst is prong-set into a negative space halo. The diameter of the amethyst is approximately 6mm round. The diamonds weigh 0.16ctw. ($2,755)
- $ 5,600.00The small, round brilliant diamonds in this MJ signature piece compliment the pink spinel beautifully. In this 18K white gold ring, the cushion-cut pink spinel center stone is surrounded by a diamond halo. The shank of the ring also has diamonds. The dimensions of the pink spinel are approximately 7.25×7.25mm. The diamonds weigh 0.43ctw. The[.....]
- $ 2,560.00This MJ signature piece has a trendy and modern presence with its vertically set, emerald-cut gemstone. The gemstone is a stunning blue zircon with two round brilliant diamonds channel set on each side. The ring is 18K white gold. The dimensions of the blue zircon are approximately 8×4.5mm. The diamonds weigh 0.05ctw. The ring is[.....]